Thursday, December 29, 2011

Wither Thou Goest

I told my boss that I was leaving today to move to Thailand.  He welcomed me with a big smile and we talked about the adventure I am about to impart upon.  I told him that I had quit few jobs that I actually liked, and I liked this one very much.  Unfortunately, it doesn't pay enough to live on and so I have chosen to follow my wife to Thailand.  He said that if I had told him that I was going to try to stay here on my own, he would have pushed me to leave anyway.  I learned much from him today, as I did this fall in the training.  I made some good friends and hope to hear from them in the future. 

Ruth chose to follow her mother-in-law, Naomi, when the latter's husband had died. Ruth said that Naomi's people will become my people.  Thus, I am taking the path set long ago and I am happy to do it.  My mother loved the story of Ruth. 

I found out about how to get my visa yesterday.  I had done some research on my on at Thai websites, using my wife to translate.  It got quite confusing, though, and the forms were in Thai.  I wrote the school and followed up with a phone call.  Quite cool that he has a toll-free number.  I caught driving in Bangkok traffic.  He said that I only need to fill out a form, pay a fee, show them my passport and I get the visa.  He says I will be getting a work visa though I won't have a work permit.  Once I have my credential, than I will be able to work.  I am up to the challenge and looking forward to teaching. 

Nee's brother is helping us get her house ready for us to live in.  Since she has been gone for 6 years, some things have been moved to other family member's homes, such as the fridge and the air conditioner.  We are getting a new fridge but apparently the temperatures have been mild lately, so I am going to take my chance and not purchase a new A/C just yet.  We will only be in Bangkok for two weeks until we take a train north to Chiang Mai.  There we will need to find a new place to live, whether temporary or permanent. 

So much to do.  We have a garage sale this weekend.  I advertised in Craigslist and have gotten a number of interested parties, though nothing has been sold yet.  I was doing my best to hang on to my furniture until I decided to take this temporary vow of poverty.  Doing that helped me sleep better.  The only two things we really need are our health and friends.  Wither thou goest, so shall I go and your people will be my people.

No comments:

Post a Comment